[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.1.0 Unexpected Changes

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 03:22:02 PST 2005

[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Randy
How
> Sent: 23 December 2005 04:49
> To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
> Subject: [postgis-users] PostGIS 1.1.0 Unexpected Changes
>
> When I run this on the PostGIS 1.0.6 and PostGIS 1.1.0 I get a POLYGON
returned.

> SELECT AsText(box3d(geom)) AS extent FROM (SELECT geometry AS geom FROM
coverage WHERE product_id = 9 ) AS foo;

> We've been using a previous version of PostGIS (0.9) which returns a
BBOX.  Is this > expected?  Is there an Extent?  I saw that the Envelope
returns a POLYGON as well.  > Has the BBox been depreciated?

> Looking over the changes for previous versions I didn't see anything
mentioned.

> Thanks,
> Randy How
> i-cubed

Hi Randy,

Since PostGIS 1.0, the AsText() function will always returns an OGC
compliant geometry. Since BOX3D is an internal PostGIS type used for the
spatial indices, it is converted to a POLYGON so that clients will always
see an OGC compliant result, regardless of the internal representation.

Kind regards,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 797131
F: +44 (0)1752 791023

http://www.webbased.co.uk
http://www.infomapper.com
http://www.swtc.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.