[postgis-users] problem with shp2pgsql

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Thu Dec 29 01:49:56 PST 2005

Henok,

* henok tadesse <bwhenok at yahoo.com> [051229 10:39]:
> the full line is like this...
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/shp2pgsql -s 26911  river.shp
> River myschema.myRiverdb > ~/River.sql

You don't have to write the SQL-script explicitely to your home
directory (which is the meaning of "~/"). Given that you have
file system based write permission in the directory your data is placed,
I suggest to write the SQL-script to the same directory.

> and i assumed i should put the shapefiles in the same
> folder as the shp2pgsql because i didnot get any hint
> where to actually put the shapefiles and i could not
> find the 'loader' directory. Where exactly should the
> shapefiles be loaded anyway? Or it could be anywhere
> given the proper path is provided later in the code?

I suggest to provide the proper path to the loader and organize your
data in a reasonable directory hierarchy. Placing all your data
(e.g. from different data sources or even from different projects) in
one directory only is a source of confusion.

HTH,

        Frank Koormann

--
Frank Koormann                             <frank.koormann at intevation.de>