[postgis-users] Postgis on Solaris

Ionut Iordache ionut at eps.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 8 14:40:23 PST 2005

Hello,

I've been having problems for a while with Postgis on Solaris 8
(sparc). I have tried various combinations of Postgresql 8.0.1, 7.4.6
with Postgis versions 0.9.1 and up.
The problem is that after the packages compile relatively without
hassle, I can't use any postgis spatial function without crashing the
database.
For example, I create an empty database, add the lwpostgis.sql
extension, create a spatial table with point geometry, insert one row
into the table... up to this point everything is fine... when I run
"select astext(geom) ..." the point shows up correctly, but when I
execute "select X(geom) ..." the backend crashes:

         before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed

I compiled with LDFLAGS="-lstdc++ -lgcc" and gcc  3.4.1.
My gcc installation is configured as follows:
Reading specs from /a/perry/data/pkgs3/local/bin/../lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.1/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.1

The compiler uses Sun's linker and I was wondering if this is part of
the problem... When I try to compile with GNU's ld, I get a
"option -dn and -P are incompatible" linker error.

The logs are not showing anything interesting, even with the highest
debug option set...
I also tried to debug the backend, but I get this error in gdb:
  Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6...Error while reading shared library symbols:
  Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.

So, is anyone else using lwgeom Postgis on Solaris 8? Did you compile
gcc from scratch, or used the binaries from sunfreeware.com ?
Any ideas of what might go wrong with my installation?

Many thanks,