[postgis-users] equals function not working correctly

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at tpg.com.au
Thu Feb 17 18:59:03 PST 2005

Hi,

I have a problem with the equals function returning false when it should
return true.

I have an update trigger on a table that checks if the_geom has changed and
if it has it updates some other fields like area, etc. I noticed that when I
update any field, other that the_geom, the trigger gets fired on one
particular record every time, even though the_geom didn't change.

I tested the problem with this:

    select id,the_geom  from item where not equals(the_geom,the_geom);

And I get back record with fires the trigger:

  id   |                           the_geom
 21802 | SRID=4326;MULTIPOLYGON(((-3 -70,-3 85,-3 85,-3 -70,-3 -70)))
(1 row)

So it's telling me that this record has a different geometry to itself!!!

Any ideas?

I'm running Postgresql 7.4.6 and PostGIS 0.9.1 and Geos 2.1.1

Cheers,

Benjamin