[postgis-users] RE: Why doesn't postgis do more with projections and SRID's? ( was: What is the tolerance parameter for simplify? )

Ethan Alpert ealpert at digitalglobe.com
Wed Jan 5 06:48:04 PST 2005

I'm leaving town for a couple days but I will look into the area_spheroid. As for simplify if you're using lat/lon coordinates simplify(the_geom,.1) will give your dramatically different results depending on whether you're near the equator or near the pole.

Anyhow I was trying to use simplify (because it's all I could find) to clean up geometries I've built using geomunion that have points too close together and cause GEOS to throw topology errors. If I project each of my polygons onto an appropriate projected coordinate system then run simplify with meters units it works great and allows me to "clean" my geometries.

-e