[postgis-users] PostGIS - server side optimization

Ralph Mason ralph.mason at telogis.com
Wed Jan 5 09:30:18 PST 2005

I would have more than one table.  Stepped tables with progressively
simplified and fewer polygons in each one.

So the biggest table has everything in it.  The next one simplifies the
geometries and removes ones small than a given threshold, the next one
... etc.  You may only need a single simplified table, or more depending
on your data and performance requirements.

So if you are zoomed in you select from the full detail one, a little
further out you switch to the first simplified one, further out still
you switch to the next one.

Ralph