[postgis-users] PostGIS - server side optimization

Ralph Mason ralph.mason at telogis.com
Tue Jan 11 21:45:18 PST 2005

Jordi Ferran wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks to all for your information. I must say that you helped me.
>
>- About data organization: split the data using multiple tables is not
>a solution. If you need to use all that information does not matter
>where the data is located.

But if the other tables have a simplified copy of the data then it's not
the same data.  Example if you are zoomed in you are probably interested
in features down to a few thousandths of a degree.  At higher altitudes
you don't really care and just need a simple outline of the poly (which
is what is going to be drawn anyway).  You likely (depending on the size
of your data) can't read and simplify all that data at the same speed
that you could read pre simplified data.

Ralph