[postgis-users] Followup: AsSVG and precision control

Andreas Neumann neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 13 05:56:52 PST 2005

Hello,

I would like to continue the thread between Klaus and strk from October
2004.

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2004-October/005954.html

Klaus wrote a patch (http://svg.cc/pg/assvg/assvg-0.5.1.patch) that
allows better precision control than the version distributed with the
official postgis distribution.

 From what I read in the thread I have the impression that strk maybe
misunderstood the intention from Klaus.

With Klaus' patch one can specifically set the nr of decimal places (the
places after the decimal point) to say 1, while with the old version
distributed with Postgis one cannot specifically control the decimal
places, but only the overall number of digits including the decimal
places. I think Klaus patch is more elegant and should be made the
default version in Postgis.

To illustrate the problem with the old solution:

say the coordinate range in your project varies from 500 to 500000, in
AsSvg you specify that you want 8 digits, than the coordinates with 500
will have more decimal places (5 decimal places, more accurate) than the
coordinates with say 400000 (2 decimal places, less accurate), which
means, that you have a varying accuracy over the whole project. I don't
think that this is the behaviour that the Postgis/SVG users want.

So, please, if possible, if you could make Klaus patch
(http://svg.cc/pg/assvg/assvg-0.5.1.patch) the default AsSVG function in
the official Postgis distribution, that would really help.

Thanks for your help!

Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Department of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg, CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.karto.ethz.ch/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/