[postgis-users] FGDC/ISO ... Metadata

Moisan Yves ymoisan at groupesm.com
Mon Jan 17 11:00:50 PST 2005

Hi All,

I am wondering about how to link metadata to individual data entries in a postGIS DB.  What seems most sensible is to avoid making a huge number of tables/fields (e.g. to accomodate something like FDGC-CSDGM that has close to 400 elements) only to find the tables are scarcely populated and rather consider metadata as "documents" pertaining to individual data elements or data groups (e.g. all measurements from sonde X).  I am trying to think of metadata backends to support such document-style metadata and I am wondering what other people use to attach metadata to their postGIS data.  Any users of native XML backends (e.g. Berkeley DB XML) alongside postGIS ?

Given the existence of XML Schemas for many metadata standards, it would seem logical to use an XML backend both to store and validate the metadata.  That obviously raises a problem of having another backend.

Cheers,

Yves Moisan