[postgis-users] new to postgris and GIS information systems and looking for info

Ries van Twisk postgis at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Jan 20 07:19:58 PST 2005

Hey list,

I'm totally new to GIS system.
The reason I have been subscribing to this list because I work with
postgresql a lot and I heard about the GIS capabilities.

What I want to do...
I have a DB with a lot of coordinates (long/lat) of city's and places
from all over the world....

For our traveling site we want to display a map in the webbrowser of the
place of the city.
What I'm looking for is province area information so I can draw lines of
countrys and provinces
and place a big colorfull dot of the city where the user was looking for.

It would be perfect if there are any highmaps available so I place that
on my map as well and make the
whole thing more attractive for the webuser.

Does anybody know where to find such hight maps... or any other kinds of
maps to make it more colorfull
and where I can find information about country and province information
to draw maps...

again, not sure if this is the right place to ask... As always... we are
in low budget so free maps or cheap maps
would be ok.. We don't need any really hight details (see streets etc.....)

thanks in advance,
Ries van twisk