[postgis-users] Unable to create Postgis 1RC1 with GEOS-Support

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Jan 20 08:43:25 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 05:06:24PM +0100, Düster Horst wrote:
> I try to compile PostGIS 1RC1 with GEOS-2.1.1 support. I follow
> README.postgis and set in Makefile.contrib USE_GEOS=1 and
> GEOS_DIR=/usr/local the correct path to lib/libgeos.so

You mean Makefile.config, right ?

> GEOS-2.1.1 is correcty compiled and installed.
>
> After make and make install of PostGIS 1RC1 and psql -f lwpostgis.sql all
> GEOS based functions like buffer() GeomUnion() etc. are installed, but the
> command: select buffer(geo,10) from geo_table; responses with
>
> ERROR:  buffer:: operation not implemented - compile PostGIS with GEOS
> support
>
> and select postgis_geos_version() responses with NULL.

Did you have an older postgis installed ?
If so you need a dump/reload as all your function definitions
must be changed to use the new library file, which is non-compatible
with older geometry internal format.

If you did not have an older postgis installed please
send the output of your 'make' invocation.

--strk;