[postgis-users] Spatial Index questino

Eli Dylan Lorimer e.d.lorimer at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 03:23:40 PDT 2005

Hi PostGIS folks,

I have a postGIS db that I am using to store  waypoints. I haven't
implemented any spatial indexes however I think by doing so I may
speed up my queries.
They types of queries that I am mostly making involve where clauses
that specify a spatial bounding box (so where myPoint < maxPoint &&
myPoint>minPoint) and a date range (so where timestamp > minTimestamp
and timeStamp < maxTimestamp).

Firstly, would I benefit from a spatial index? And if so, can I make
a multi-variate index so that my Point column in the db is indexed as
well as my timestamp column?

Cheers,
./dylan