[postgis-users] Algorithm for Overlaying Areas and Features

Renato Salas rsalas at voxiva.net
Fri Jul 8 16:22:34 PDT 2005

Hi group:

I'm curious about what is the underlying algorithm used to find out if a
geo-feature is within an area.

For instance, I have a dataset with emergency calls and another with zip
areas. Then I want to know how many calls are in each area.

I know I need to tag each feature with the zip area code it belongs to
and then sum the number of calls for each area.

My question is, how do I determine in which area a particular call
belong in an efficiente manner. Do I have to step in each area to find
which features are inside its boundaries?. Do I first need to sort the
features by Lat/Lon so that I know the boundaries of my features, thus
reducing the number of candidates areas?.

I'm pretty sure this issue is well know and solved on the GIS community
so please illuminate me since I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks all in advance for your comments,

Regards,

Renato