[postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Asger Petersen asger at jo-informatik.dk
Fri Jul 15 05:14:23 PDT 2005

> With the 9.1 release, ESRI have bundled the Data Interoperability
> Package into the core product - no extra licensing fee.
> Also Safe Software (authors of the Interop. extension)
> were busily working on fixes to the bugs in the extension last year.
>
> I haven't tried using PostGIS from ArcGIS 9.1, but it sounds like all
of
> the
> pieces may be in place to make it work.

Hi
When activating the Data Interoperability extension in ArcGIS 9.1 it
says:

"The ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension, a new extension introduced
after the release of 9.0, is now part of the ArcGIS Desktop setup and so
no longer has to be installed separately. A license still has to be
purchased to use this extension."

It is possible to try it out for free for 60 days. I haven't tried it
yet, but a friend of mine has tried and his ArcGIS crashes every time he
tries to establish a PostGIS connection.

Well, it sounded really good, but...

/Asger Petersen