[postgis-users] Interested in PostGIS for a replacement to ArcSDE

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Mon Jul 18 07:15:20 PDT 2005

	In some scenarios, especially those involving web interfaces, you
might consider dropping ESRI and switching to some other interface based on
open standards. There are some alternatives like svg+xml, MapServer, JUMP
which have active communities. PostGIS can do all the heavy lifting
geospatial work and the middle tier can be a customized interface based on
w3c and OGC standards.
	You can save on license aggravation and have a much more interactive
interface with the additional assurance that the standard is not going to be
moved out from under you with the next release.