[postgis-users] Query postGIS (ArcGIS shapefile) based on lat/lon position

Greene, Courtney Courtney.Greene at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jun 14 04:39:58 PDT 2005

Hi,
I'm a new user of postgres/postGIS, (Win2000, postgres 8.0.3, postGIS 9.0.1)
but I have managed to load the contents of an ArcGIS shapefile into postGIS
and I'm able to query and retrieve records based on the table contents.

What I'm struggling with is trying to formulate and execute a query based on
a latitude/longitude position. I want to query and retrieve the one record
that describes the shape that is positioned over a specific lat/lon position
and I just don't know how to work with a lat/long position and the positions
as described in the shape file. Can any one offer any suggestions as to how
I can do this or where I may look for answers?

I appreciate any guidance that may be offered.

Thanks,
Courtney

Courtney Greene
Defence R&D Canada - Atlantic