[postgis-users] (repost) Help with Solaris install of postgis 1.0.1

James Marca jmarca at translab.its.uci.edu
Thu Jun 16 10:11:20 PDT 2005

Hi,

this is a repost of an earlier petition for help.  Has anyone gotten
PostGIS 1.0.1 (and its dependent libs) to run in a 64 bit Solaris
environment?  Do you have any advice?

My sysadmin is still trying to get gdb to work with postgresql.  When
he has success, we will report more on our crash conditions.

But in the meantime, do any Solaris users have tips or traps that we
should avoid first?  There have been a few postings to this list
relating problems with Solaris, but no resolutions.

everything works fine for postgis 0.9.  we get a runtime crash for
1.0.1.

postgresql version 8.0.3,
postgis 1.0.1
geos 2.1.1
proj 4.4.9

uname -a gives SunOS trantor 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

We are compiling with gcc 3.3, and are being careful to link
everything against the 64 bit runtime libs.  I am not sure which
linker we are using, but I believe it is the sun linker.  ldd on all
libraries and executables shows that only 64 bit libraries are linked.
We can't quite run it in a pristine 64 bit environment, but we are
close to it.

Thanks in advance for any help,

James