[postgis-users] Different between Box2D and Box3D

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Sun Jun 19 06:53:01 PDT 2005

Box3d can store a Z value.
It is ignored by 2d operations (all of them, so far).
Box3d uses double precision floating point numbers.

Box2d can only store X and Y.
Box2d uses single precision floating point numbers.
Box2d is used to cache bounding box of geometries.

geometry::box2d <-- uses cache if any
geometry::box3d <-- computes the box for the geometry

--strk;