[postgis-users] i18n

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Thu Jun 23 09:58:22 PDT 2005

Paul,

Thanks for your reply re:frenchusers only.  I fought the temptation to
reply and felt much better after reading yours.  But now I can share my
thoughts:

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Since we are talking about languages, I have some questions to the
> community:
>
> - Should I worry that we are losing international users because of our
> generally English-only web site (occasional submitted translations
> notwithstanding?)

I don't know that you're losing international users.  Perhaps you're not
gaining as many partly because of language issues...  However, as long
as everyone feels welcome to post in their native language, I don't
think you'll lose users.

For those who post in say, filipino, you run the risk of not getting as
good a help from those who post in english which is the language the
majority understands.  And for those who are afraid to post in english
because you're not comfortable with the language, do it anyway.  There
are a lot of users here who will be happy to help you no matter how good
  or bad your english.

> - Would a more open web site, with translation support, actually be
> maintained regularly, or would I risk creating a multi-lingual ghetto,
> where only the English site is up to date, and the rest are in various
> stages of disrepair?

This sounds like a good idea but it's really up to who maintains the
translations.  If the user base supports this, you might be able to pull
it off but I think the current site and mailing list works just fine.
(Of course, my bias shows through as I can speak and understand a little
bit of english. ;)

> - At a code level, should we consider applying i18n to PostGIS itself?
> The number of strings/errors we produce is low, and PgSQL handles most
> of the core language issues, but should we try and be complete?

This is for the international users to answer but I would imagine this
is a good thing.

Cheers!
-Perry