[postgis-users] Anyone using PosGIS w/ VMWare GSX server ?

Julia Harrell julia.harrell at ncmail.net
Fri Jun 24 14:10:47 PDT 2005

Hi All,

We're in need of advice about using Postgres/PostGIS
on a RedHat Advanced Server box with VMWare GSX.

We are considering running the production instance
on the host OS, and using a virtual environment
only for the test/dev instance. We've got zero
a budget for a separate test/dev box, so it's
either this or no test/dev environment at all, and
that's not really a great idea either...

The server in question is a Dell PE2850 w/ 2 3.6 GHz cpu's,
4gb ram and 6 146gb 15k rpm disks in a raid 5 config.
Based upon what I've read on the VMWare site, this
seems like it should be sufficiently robust enough
to handle several virtual environments.

Is anyone else out there doing this, have advice,
words of wisdom or warning, etc?

Thanks,

Julia Harrell
GIS Coordinator
NC Dept. Environment & Natural Resources
julia.harrell at ncmail.net
919-715-0363