[postgis-users] nearest neighbor search

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 25 14:07:28 PST 2005

If you computed the distance from some point (x,y) to all points in the
table and sorted the results the first (or last) would be the nearest.

select point_id, Distance(...) as distance from mytable order by
distance asc limit 1;

should give you the point_id and distance from (x,y). I'm still to much
of a newbie to postGIS to fill in the exact syntax, if someone else can
help. This can probably be accellerated greately if you can limit you
search to some BBOX if you have lots of points.

-Steve