[postgis-users] TopologyException with geomunion

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 07:32:32 PST 2005

Hi all,

I've run into an exception when trying to union two multipolygons.
The features are both simple and valid:

range_maps=# select isvalid(geom), issimple(geom) from viverrid_psar
where node_number in (-3,-21);
isvalid | issimple
---------+----------
t       | t
t       | t
(2 rows)

but when I try and union these I get the following:

range_maps=# insert into viverrid_psar (taxon_name, node_number,
subclades, branch_length,  n_tips, n_subclades, node_height,
richness, geom)values ('',-2,'{-3,-21}',9.9,31,2,18.1,31,(select
geomunion(geom) from viverrid_PSAR where node_number in (-3,-21)));
NOTICE:  TopologyException: Directed Edge visited twice during ring-
building at  (1.13203e+07,402571)
ERROR:  GEOS union() threw an error!

I don't think I'm doing something dumb, but I thought I'd check
before I start posting bug reports..

Cheers,
David