[postgis-users] how to define an alias for && operator?

Jean-Pierre Quirion jpquirion at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 4 05:26:19 PST 2005

Hi,

Postgis 1.0
Postgres 8.0

We are desperately trying to define an alias for the && operator (that use the same indexes!). We
copied the definition of the && operator ("CREATE OPERATOR &&...") that works fine.
For index usage we need to add a new operator to the operator class "gist_geometry_ops" but that
seems impossible without deleting the && operator, "operator number 3 appears more than once",
because && and our new operator should use the same strategy.

How would you define an alias? We need the alias in order to circumvent Hibernate.
Any ideas?

Jean-Pierre