[postgis-users] Area and scale completely wrong

Johan Wehtje genwolf at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 00:50:10 PST 2005

I am using Postgis 1.0.4 on Win XP with Postgresql 8.1.

I had some Shape files that have Land Parcels , they use GDA94 Zone 56 (
srid 28356) , and I used shp2pgsql to load them into my DB.

But when I an area calculation I get results that are completely wrong , and
when i add a Postgis layer using QGIS the scale would have me beleive that
the entire shire (which about 80 km accross) is about 2 cm.

I have tried this about twenty times, on 2 different machines - and the
results are the same. i have verified the original shape files in Arcview,
and when they are laoded the scale and area are all what they should be.

What am I doing wrong?

Johan Wehtje