[postgis-users] Area and scale completely wrong

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 05:07:42 PST 2005

> Thanks Baren and strk - that was the problem, the file was in decimal
> degrees.
>
>  Can these files be used in Postgis ? is it just a matter of finding another
> SRID, or do I have to convert them sowehow?

Hello Johan
You can use these files in Postgis, setting the right SRID for them.
(a geographic system in your case)
You may also transform them to another reference system by knowing the
source and target spatial reference systems SRID. (transform()
function).
Storing them in lat-long won't allow you to compute precise distances, areas.
So transforming them to a cartesian reference system is a good option.
Look in the spatial_ref_sys table to find the SRID corresponding to
your projection.

Nicolas