[postgis-users] installing postgis in Ubuntu 5.10(Breezy)

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Nov 14 21:28:01 PST 2005

Paul Scott wrote:
> Yes, please!  I just had to install PostgreSQL from source (Sat. night
> in fact) because PostGIS needs the source tree.  This is annoying
> because now I'm missing all the Ubuntu-specific PostgreSQL scripts.
>
> I could quite easily build an Ubuntu specific deb for postgis. I just
> don't have the time to maintain it, so if there are any takers there, I
> could start the ball rolling...

I've built Ubuntu packages for Postgresql 8.1.0 and PostGIS 1.0.4 using the
Debian 8.1.0-1 packages as a base for my packages.

The changes I've made to the Debian packages include two new patches, which add
the contrib/postgis-1.0.4 directory and modify contrib/Makefile.  My packages
build a postgresql-postgis-8.1 package with proj and libgeos support which
depends upon postgresql-contrib-8.1.

The only slight brokenness is that the postgressql-contrib package contains the
README for the postgis package, but I didn't want to change the
debian/postgresql-contrib-8.1.install and change the

usr/share/postgresql/8.1/contrib/*

to list everything by hand.  Is there a way to do exclusion of files in these?

I found that trying to add postgis 1.0.4 as a source tar.gz to the Debian
package wouldn't work after an hour or two of trying.  It looks like the
packaging scheme used for Postgresql works well with a single .tar.gz.  So I
just made a patch by unpacking two postgresql-8.1.0 and unpacking postgis into
one and doing a 'diff -Nru' between them.

You can see the packages by adding these two lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/
deb-src http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/

Or you can just browse to them and download them.

Source deb's are also available, so you can download the sources, compare what
I've done with the vanilla Debian build.

Moving my changes back to 8.0 wouldn't be hard.

Anyway, give them a shot and let me know.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.