[postgis-users] Input on upgrade to GIS database

Daniel daniel.faivre at camptocamp.com
Thu Nov 17 08:35:39 PST 2005

You can use dump/restore, but in this case, you'll need to use
postgis_restore.pl, an utility which come with postgis.

Before proceeding, make solid backups of all your data: pg_dump with
full inserts. With this files, you'll always be able to retrieve your data.

If you can, configure the new postgresql BEFORE erasing old version. So,
you'll always be able to backup old data.

Be aware with PostGIS upgrade: the internal format for geometries have
changed: you may need to modify existing source codes of your applications.

Yours,

dF