[postgis-users] Re: Cancelled Jeff Waugh Talk - GIS in Ubuntu

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Nov 19 16:22:30 PST 2005

My packages just build a single postgresql-postgis-8.1 package with no Java support.

I tried Alex's packages quickly and they work great, with Java support and they
are split into many different packages, so you can pick exactly what pieces you
need.

I'm going to be rebuilding my postgresql-* packages as the Debian packages with
no modifications, except for the version number so that people can easily
upgrade.  Then I'll build Alex's postgis1* packages for Ubuntu.  I plan on doing
this in the near future.

Regards,
Blair

John Taber wrote:
> Martin,
> It will be great to have PostGis in Universe.  I've copied the PostGis
> list on this, maybe the key packagers can communicate with you directly.
> Alex Bodnaru <alexbodn at 012.net.il>  - is debian packager for PostGis
> Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - has made Breezy packages for both
> Postgresql 8.1 and PostGis
> John
>
> Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> John Taber wrote:
>>> I was hoping to ask him about getting PostGIS support into Universe
>>> (it's now getting into Debian Unstable).  GIS is becoming a standard
>>> in all NA cities for planning, engineering, and used throughout the
>>> healthcare and emergency response areas.  Yet for the most part GIS
>>> has been a windows only domain.  The advent of QGIS now in Universe is
>>> a huge step forward.  PostGIS allows GIS data to be converted to
>>> PostgreSQL and thus used on Linux.  Really hope PostGIS can get
>>> supported in Ubuntu.  There's an active discussion list for PostGIS at
>>
>> It should be no problem to get PostGIS into Universe. Do you have
>> someone who maintains packages for it? The PostGRES rock star in Ubuntu
>> is Martin Pitt, so he may have comments.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion and Orca training and consulting
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/