[postgis-users] Linux versions?

Darryl Watson dwatson at roof-express.com
Sun Nov 20 12:59:19 PST 2005

Currently, I have PostGIS and PostgreSQL installed on a Windows server,
which is annoying, because there are no command line utilities
available.  So, since I don't have extra hardware for a Linux box, I
want to install Linux in a VMWare virtual machine and run PostGIS from
there.  (yeah, I know, I'd rather run Windows XP in the virtual machine,
but the politics of my office won't allow that possibilty!)

Has anyone done this and run into problems with PostGIS and/or
PostgreSQL?  If not, I'll let you know how it goes.

My primary question is what Linux distributions do I want to avoid, and
which work easily with PostGIS?

My preferred distributions are Suse Linux 9.2, 9.3, Redhat Fedore Core
4, or Red Hat Enterprise 4.  I don't care for Debian or Ubuntu.

Thanks!
--

Darryl Watson

Senior Software Developer