[postgis-users] Mixing SRID's

Johan Wehtje genwolf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 05:45:39 PST 2005

Markus
Thanks your reply.
Given that I had already implemented a trigger to transform the data entered
at the front end I feel a little foolish for not having thought to take it
that step further. Where I am currently stuck though is in trying to pick
from the 26,761 SRID's available. I have already experienced the glitches
that result from trying to use Projected Geometry ( see an earlier thread on
trying to understand why my Scale's were all wrong), but I remain unclear on
how to pick the SRID I should use as the common standard. Much of my incoing
data is either in the form of shape files  or from Feild surveys conducted
using a Differential or even ordinary GPS. I have tried using SRID 4326, but
I run into the same scale problem i ran into earlier because apparently this
SRID is projected. But when I do a like search on WGS84 I get hundreds of
resuts, and reading the srtext and proj4 feilds to try and figure out which
SRID I should be using is not especially user freindly. Is there somewhere
where I can egt a list of the more common datums that I can check my
database agaoinst.