[postgis-users] Updated Ubuntu Breezy packages including postgis 1.0.5

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Nov 26 18:30:43 PST 2005

Happy Thanksgiving,

I've built a new set of postgresql-common, libpg-java, postgresql and postgis
packages for Ubuntu.  All the latest versions of these Postgresql related
packages have the name 'zajac' in the version number to distinguish them from
any other build.

The major changes are:

1) Updated libpg-java package which uses the 8.1-404 source files from

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

This package is based off Debian's 8.0-312-1 package for the 8.0 JDBC package.
No changes have been applied to the packaging, including the patches the Debian
package applies, however, they do apply cleanly to the 8.1 files.

The main Debian package is now named libpg-java to follow Java Debian packaging
conventions and libpgjava just depends upon libpg-java.  All of the packages I
built now depend upon libpg-java, not libpgjava.

2) Updated postgresql-common package using the latest Debian package with a
single change, to allow 8.1 to be a "supported" version of Postgresql on Breezy,
otherwise the postgresql-common configuration script complains about 8.1 being
unsupported.

3) Rebuild the postgresql*8.1 packages using the vanilla postgresql-8.1-8.1.0-3
package with no modifications.  The only change is the version number.

4) Use Alex Bodnaru's package to build a complete set of new PostGIS 1.0.5
packages.  They are

libpostgis-common
libpostgis-doc
libpostgis-java-debug
libpostgis-java
libpostgis-utils-pg8.1
libpostgis1-examples
libpostgis1-pg8.1

The new libpostgis-common depends upon postgresql-common >= 33 to allow this
package to drop its private copy of pg_wrapper.

5) Build a separate, new postgresql-postgis-8.1 package.  This is just a empty
package that depends upon libpostgis1-pg8.1 to help force an upgrade to the new
packages.  It can be safely removed after moving to the new versions.

Please let me know of any issues.  If you do, please email the mailing list and
cc me, do not contact me directly, as I would like other people  on the lists to
help out with any issues.  I am a new postgresql and postgis user, and may not
be able to distinguish an issue relating to these specifics build versus a
general issue, while somebody on the list might.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.