[postgis-users] Overlap Queries - speed

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Oct 4 12:25:11 PDT 2005

I've just read this thread with interest, and it has made me curious. I may
have missed some posts, but have a question.

The docs I read (section 4.5) discussed how to add a spatial index on geometry
columns. I had thought this generated a bounding box for use with the &&
operator to improve spatial query performance.

The advice given in this thread was to use AddBBox(the_geom), not to create a
GIST index.

Is there any real underlying difference in these two approaches, and if so,
what is it?

Thanks,

  Brent Wood