FOSS GIS in Africa WAS Re: [postgis-users] postgis & php

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Apr 5 07:40:33 PDT 2006

Paul,

  I just visited the site and I am excited by your initiative. I would
like to know if I can contribute some how to this.  What kind of
contributions are you looking for ?

Just a bit of background on myself : I currently work for DM Solutions
group and have been involved as a developer with Mapserver/php-mapscript
and other client tools around Mapserver.  I try to follow most mailing
list and initiatives related to GIS in Africa and also initiatives on
osgeo like the international discussing list.

  Please let me know.

  Best Regards,

Paul Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 10:55 -0500, Nelson Guda wrote:
>
>>Many thanks for the detailed help!  It is greatly appreciated!  I
>>will probably have a chance to try it out this weekend.
>>nelson
>>

> Nelson,
>
> I am busy setting up a site for African Free Software GIS where this
> project will have a dedicated content area, with discussion forums, wiki
> etc that people can use to collaborate. I would like to invite you to
> join the site, and add your questions/comments there as well.
>
> The URL is: http://fsiu.uwc.ac.za/gis/
>
> Anyone else on this list that is interested in helping out with this
> site, are more than welcome to join too. There is a section dedicated to
> PostGIS already (although I haven't had time to populate any content
> yet).
>
> This site is primarily to foster awareness of FOSS based GIS options in
> Africa, as well as a means to create collaborative communities around
> Africa in a number of GIS projects.
>
> If anyone would like to start creating content for PostGIS, please let
> me know...
>
> --Paul

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst