[postgis-users] Function of table "geometry_columns"

Kai Behncke Kai-Behncke at gmx.de
Tue Apr 11 23:57:21 PDT 2006

Hello to all,
I would like to know what the table "geometry_columns" is for.
I work with UMN Mapserver and I have several geodata.
Everything works really fine with postgis.:-)
If I make a new table with geodata automatically an entry in the
"geometry_columns" follows (with informations to SRID,type, etc.)
 but I would like to know, if this is only a statistical table or if it is
absolutely necessary?
I also would like to knwo, what the oid in "geometry_columns" wants to tell
me?
Thank you very much.
Kai