[postgis-users] PostGIS setup - Ubuntu Breezy + PostgreSQL-8.1

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Mon Apr 17 06:02:52 PDT 2006

Scrive alex bodnaru <alexbodn at 012.net.il>:
> hi,
>
> i don't have ubuntu, but the available debian packages have been
> designed to support even older postgresql architectures.
>
> the dependencies have been based on packages names, and the real file
> names are been detected at build-time.
>
> my suggestion would be to try to build the deb from it's sources on each
> ubuntu or debian distribution to support.
>
> willing to help,
>
> alex

Hi Alex,
some time ago I kindly asked one of the DebGIS members to teach me how to build
DEB packages from the sources in the repository for Ubuntu. I'd like to
dedicate a little of my time mantaining (one of) such packages for Ubuntu. This
would require to envolve the DebianGIS project, and the Ubuntu MOTU (Masters of
the Universe) team too. In my mind the only useful result should be to have
some packages to mantain as a team in Ubuntu Universe, given _the same_ sources
as DebianGIS.

The objective would be that apt-get install postgis always provides users with
the latest version of the software, without the pain of adding repositories and
so on.

If we can merge our efforts and will, the more the better!

Steko

--
Stefano Costa
http://www.iosa.it * Software Libero per l'Archeologia