[postgis-users] PostGIS setup - Ubuntu Breezy + PostgreSQL-8.1

alex bodnaru alexbodn at 012.net.il
Mon Apr 17 08:28:04 PDT 2006

apt-get install is fetching binary packages, according to the
/etc/apt/sources.list of the machine.

the main debian repositories are automatically building the packages
submited for all supported architectures. you could think of the various
ubuntu/debian versions as various architectures, and automatically
support them as well. postgis has been designed to support every debian
version that may run it. but i don't think you could naturally expect
for all packages to be release-backward compatible.

this situation is very cumbersome, and i personally think it should be
thoroughly revised.
i would think of a single (stable) debian release, comprising only
general purpose (aka required/important) packages. packages for specific
science/industry should be maintained by specialized groups like gis,
engineering, education etc. both the main team and the specialized ones,
should upgrade packages at upstream pace, but allways integrate the new
packages in the current stable release. it would be nevertheless simpler
to test a new package against a known to be stable release, than against
an unstable and ever changing one. i know, that such a solution would
bring the ubuntu efforts back to debian, and render a both stabler and
much more uptodate debian distribution. by the way, the debian release
should be forked from time to time, but on functional grounds, like the
c++ abi transition, the udev hotplug conflict etc.

i'd like to hear your opinion

alex