[postgis-users] PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Apr 20 06:32:51 PDT 2006

On 20-Apr-06, at 12:11 AM, Michael Breetzke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new user to this mailing list.
> I have gone through this PostGIS and it looks a very useful tool to
> have. We are currently looking to make use of this product.
> I do have a question concerning the PostGIS.
>
> 1) Can ArcGIS and PostGIS work together?

Somewhat, but not superbly.  Check out ZigGIS, or PgArc.  Also the
ESRI Data Interoperability Extension.

>  2) Can Google Earth connect to PostGIS, or can PostGIS load kml
> (Google Earth files)?

Google earth can connect via a NetworkLink KML object, like it can
connect to any other thing, but you would have to write a script to
process the network link into SQL to retrieve objects, and the
objects into KML.

No, we have no KML reader, but it would not be hard to write one,
it's a pretty simple format.