[postgis-users] "Undefined symbol: nth" errors when adding lwpostgis.sql to postgre 8.1.3

Michael Thadani michael.thadani at rlmgroup.com.au
Tue Apr 25 18:05:40 PDT 2006

Hi there,

I am trying to install postgis on an installation of PostgresSQL 8.1.3.

I installed postgres from source and the automated test performs without
errors. I also downloaded the GEOS and PROJ libraries and installed them
as directed (./configure, make, make install).

I followed the instructions on installing postgis (again, ./configure,
make, make install) but when attempting to add the lwpostgis.sql file, I
receive a slew of errors.

Originally my attempts to use this file produced

>NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined

>DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.

>ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.1": No such file
or directory

However, after sed'ing the sql to replace $libdir with my pgsql
directory I now receive

>NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined

>DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.

>ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/lib64/pgsql/liblwgeom.so.1.1":
/usr/lib64/pgsql/liblwgeom.so.1.1: undefined symbol: nth

I noticed that someone else had encountered this issue before
(http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2006-February/00
1977.html) but have been unable to find information about how to resolve
it.

For reference, I am installing on RH Enterprise Linux 3.

The details of ./configure from postgis are

>SUMMARY

> HOST_OS: linux-gnu

>   PGSQL: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

>    GEOS: /usr/local/bin/geos-config (with C-API)

>    PROJ: dir=/usr/local

>   ICONV: 1

> PORTNAME: linux

>   PREFIX: /usr/local/pgsql

>  EPREFIX: ${prefix}

>      DOC: /usr/local/pgsql/doc/contrib

>     DATA: /usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib

>      MAN: /usr/local/pgsql/man

>      BIN: /usr/local/pgsql/bin

>      EXT: /usr/local/pgsql/lib (\$$libdir)

The output from pg_config is

[mthadani at localhost postgis-1.1.2]$ pg_config

>BINDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/bin

>DOCDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/doc

>INCLUDEDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/include

>PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/include

>INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /usr/local/pgsql/include/server

>LIBDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/lib

>PKGLIBDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/lib

>LOCALEDIR =

>MANDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/man

>SHAREDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/share

>SYSCONFDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/etc

>PGXS = /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk

>CONFIGURE =

>CC = gcc

>CPPFLAGS = -D_GNU_SOURCE

>CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -fno-strict-aliasing

>CFLAGS_SL = -fpic

>LDFLAGS = -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/pgsql/lib

>LDFLAGS_SL =

>LIBS = -lpgport -lz -lreadline -ltermcap -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl
-lm -lbsd

>VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.1.3

Thanks

Michael Thadani