[postgis-users] Make Check Error - Where is libgeos_c.so.1?

Michael Fuhr mike at fuhr.org
Sun Aug 27 09:06:43 PDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 09:02:36AM -0600, Bill Thoen wrote:
> psql:lwpostgis.sql:39: ERROR:  could not load library
>     "/home/postgres/postgis-1.1.3/lwgeom/liblwgeom.so.1.1": libgeos_c.so.1:
>     cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[...]
> I don't see libgeos_c.so.1 anywhere, and I'm not sure how it's created but
> I did the ./configure, make and make install for the GEOS package and I
> didn't see any errors from that step.

This comes up occasionally; search the list archives.

Can you find libgeos_c.so*?  Where all did you look?  It might be
in /usr/local/lib unless you configured GEOS to put it somewhere
else.  You could use "find" to search the entire filesystem, or
"locate" if you have it and you've updated the locate database since
installing GEOS.  If you find libgeos_c then you might need to
adjust your runtime linker configuration, or rebuild postgis with
different linker flags, or use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (probably not good
as a long-term solution).

> Also when I run PostGIS's Make Check it keeps asking for postgres' password
> again and again. Is there some way I can specify this once and not have it
> keep asking me for it?

This is a PostgreSQL authentication issue.  You could set up a
.pgpass file, or configure pg_hba.conf to use "ident" authentication
(or "trust", but that's bad security practice), or use the PGPASSWORD
environment variable (also bad for security).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-envars.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

--