[postgis-users] postgis and arcmap

Adam Quiney aquiney at refractions.net
Wed Jan 4 09:29:03 PST 2006

Hi Randy,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a GIS platform - are you talking
about something that would allow you to serve up GIS data to incoming
client requests?  If so, one of the more common configurations seems to
be using a PostGIS database as a backend, and a Mapserver instance
running as the front-end to serve up requested GIS data.  You can read
more about Mapserver (which is a great open-source product itself) at
the Mapserver website:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

Cheers,

--Adam