[postgis-users] NumInteriorRing(s) ?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jan 9 07:30:23 PST 2006

Yeah...

"NumInteriorRing" is superficially an error in the specification, and
I brought it up in the SFSQL committee a couple months ago.  It turns
out, it was deliberate.  SFSQL is an older specification (late 90s)
and they were limiting the length of their function names.  The only
way they could fit in NumInteriorRings was to drop the 's'. (Me, I
would have turned all the "Num*" functions into "N*" functions, but
hindsight is 20/20.)

And then the author of the conformance guidd I guess did what I did
and assumed NumInteriorRing was a typo, and fixed it for the
conformance document.

In any event, we should support the "officially mis-spelled" version
as well in order to be *completely* true to the spec.

Paul