[postgis-users] db diagnostics?

Sears, Jeremy Jeremy.Sears at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Jan 20 11:24:41 PST 2006

Hi All,

Perhaps someone with more experience than I could offer a quick explanation
to the following ...

I have two *identical* installations of postgresql8.1 with PostGIS on win32
lets say installation A and B. The only obvious difference between the two
is that installation A has its data dir as c:\program
files\postgres\8.1\data and installation B has its data dir as
I:\anotherdir\data (postgresql's system files and what not are in the
default c:\program files\postgres\8.1\bin for both installations).

I have a dump file to be restored into both databases. The dump is in custom
format created with the pg_dump -Fc option.

When I restore the data to installation A, all seems to go well.
When I restore the data to installation B, I get the following error msg as
the last msg in my terminal screen:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "16" at character 1<?xml:namespace prefix =
o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

LINE 1: 16 BU_WHDATABASE Backup Warehouse Database

also I notice that in my public schema, on the geometry_column table there
are no records.
Why is this the case? Does having my data dir on another drive have anything
to do with it?

Finally and perhaps most relevant to determing what's up: Is there a
function I can execute that will spit out a complete list of all of the
functions, versions, upgrades etc that are make up a database? Ideally what
Id like to do is obtain such a report from both installations, then compare
the two.

Best Regards
Jeremy