[postgis-users] Converting from FAT32 to NTFS for PostgreSQL

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Jan 27 04:15:22 PST 2006

Hi, Ben,

Ben Crane wrote:

> I'm running on a FAT32 hard drive and PostgreSQL
> doesn't really work on it. I am considering
> partitioning my harddrive so that a portion of it is
> NTFS or maybe the entire thing.
>
> Can anyone tell me if they have had to do this before
> in order to get PostgreSQL working and any problems
> it's caused? I have tons of stuff on my harddrive of
> which the most important is my suitably customized
> apache/php/mysql and mapserver info.
>
> Any advice on getting postgreSQL working would be much
> appreciated.

As far as I know, Windows can convert FAT32 partitions to NTFS "in
place", so this might be an option for you.

There's a command line tool called "convert", as a co-worker told me. If
you want to convert your boot partition, it schedules the conversion for
the next reboot, other partitions can be converted without reboot.

HTH,
Schabi