[postgis-users] Is postgis the right tool for this?

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Tue Jun 6 00:50:35 PDT 2006

Well, on the face of it this seems like postGIS could well handle it, depending on server, expected load, etc.

If you data is is in lat/long you can load it as such with an appropriate SRID (4326 springs to mind) but in order to get a distance in miles you'll have to cast that data into a projection that does feet/meters/miles (with whatver conversions are needed) ... this projection obviously differs if you are area around Fairbanks Alaska vs Florida. There are people on this list who can probably offer much better advice than I on this (I more of a DBA and less of a GIS type).

Roads are doable but you either have to pay a fair chunk of change for prepared datasets or you can use TIGER data from the US Census department,which tends to be a bit less accurate and perhaps a bit older, but is often good enough for causal use and are at least free. But they come in a format that requires massaging to get into postgres -- there have been posts on this in the past so searching the archives might be useful.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC