[postgis-users] Large Databases

mark thomas javaguru at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 9 12:29:52 PDT 2006

Consider using table partitioning by state, zip code, county, or
something similar to help speed up queries.  Also, when loading your
data, I found it helpful to make sure I vacuumed/analyzed the DB after
every state load; otherwise, it took forever trying to gather statistics
on the entire U.S detailed streets dataset.

When running queries against your geometries using geometry relationship
functions such as Intersects(), Within(), etc. make sure you filter out
geometries in the table not relating to the input geometry by using a
spatial operator, which will make use of your spatial index.  Using the
envelope of the input geometry when using a spatial operator will
greatly speed up your queries as well.

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 12:00 -0700,
postgis-users-request at postgis.refractions.net wrote:

> [postgis-users] Large Databases

Mark Thomas
Senior Software Engineer
Awarix Corporation
mthomas at awarix.com
http://www.awarix.com

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
    and your plans will succeed." - Proverbs 16:3