[postgis-users] Large Databases

Graham Stewart graham at mobilefoundry.net
Fri Jun 9 14:46:47 PDT 2006

Jim,

Thanks for your help!
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:58:41PM -0600, Graham Stewart wrote:
>
>> Presently we've got a Dual 3Ghz Xeon with 4 Gigs of ram running on
>> Windows 2003 Server. We have about half a terabyte free on the Raid
>> array - so it should be plenty powerful enough for our needs.
>>

> 4G might be a bit low for accessing 1/2 a terrabyte; depending on what
> your access patterns are.

I'm not actually sure how large the dataset is. My guess would put the
raw data somewhere between 50 and 100 gigs, so even with indicies, it's
unlikely that we'll take up 500 gigs.

>> I presume the windows postgres should be as scalable as the *nix one?
>>

> Theoretically. Realisticly, Windows support is still quite new, and
> there's probably more performance tweaks that need to happen.

That's good to know.  Everything we are doing is in Java and Postgis so
it should be straightforward to port it if we need to. I did a lot of
Solaris work in a past life.

Graham