[postgis-users] Large Databases

Robert Burgholzer rburghol at chesapeakebay.net
Tue Jun 13 08:44:16 PDT 2006

I just went through an upgrade of server, and was initially quite
disappointed that my 2.0 Ghz with 1 G RAM was taking forever on a
"vacuum full" of a table with about 50 million records. I abandoned the
analyze after 6 hours, and I then read the Pg manual, and changed
maintenance_work_mem in postgresql.conf from the default value as
follows:

#maintenance_work_mem = 16384           # min 1024, size in KB
maintenance_work_mem = 163840

I then re-ran the vacuum and it processed in under 5 minutes.

Just food for thought that those settings can really help you out,
although I have found it difficult to get good solid advice on which
settings to change and what to change them to.

r.b.