[postgis-users] oid field

Aaron Koning aaronkoning at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 13:32:47 PDT 2006

'oid' is a database generated field containing unique values (one for each
row). In previous versions of PostgreSQL it was created by default, however
in newer versions it is not generated by default. The shp2pgsql loader
creates a 'gid' field that also contains unique values, therefore the need
for oid is moot (i.e. use gid instead of oid).

Aaron