[postgis-users] intersects(), touches(), overlaps() documentation issue

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Tue Mar 7 08:56:01 PST 2006

>From your image it looks to me like those lines are not exactly
parallel.  In that case they would only touch, not overlap.

The only way to be 100% certain is if you can post the geometry for the
lines.

Touches returns true if the geometries have a point in common, but their
interiors do not intersect.  This is the case if the lines are not quite
parallel.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.      www.vividsolutions.com
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street Victoria, B.C. V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040 - Local 308 Fax: (250) 385 6046