[postgis-users] isvalid(the_geom)

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Thu May 4 06:57:34 PDT 2006

Christo --

An index on a boolean column is not likely to be very useful to the planner except in trivial cases, I think ... if you have 50000 entries and 49900 are valid a conditional index on only the invalid ones might be useful, but an index with such low selectivity (i.e. returns a large percentage of possible rows) usually results in the scanner using a sequential scan, which is going to be slow.

I think (depending on what you are doing) that adding the column to indicate the validity might be useful, but I'd say *don't* index it; make the other selection criteria highly selective and then use the validity check as a final filter when needed. If less than 1% (a guess) of the data is valid then a conditional index on those rows with valid geometries would probably show a significant improvement. The trick is to try to have indexes be highly selective -- boolean values tend not to be.

In earlier postGIS (< 1.0) the isValid function was not very useful; in the newer versions it does work more robustly, but we don't use it for checking geometries generated on the fly as the result of queries -- we apply it as a final check and don't let data into runtime that is not valid (but we have more control over the data sets than it sounds like you do).

A question to ask might be: "What use is/are data with invalid geometries ?" If there are columns that are useful then including broken geometries might make sense if you can use the data without the geometry.

If your access is by spatial though, having invalid geometries is a non-starter, since many operations on that geometry could yield failures of various degrees.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC